Re: leviton vizia RF switches (Z-wave)

"Marc_F_Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:e6ulv2l80q9pgvgat647f5bqnnr2cn3npd@xxxxxxxxxx

> Whether you use X-10 or some other Power Line Control (PLC, eg: UPB,
> INSTEON, various flavors of ethernet over powerline) you might find Jeff
> Volp's suggestions helpful.

Thanks Marc.

> Key in my opinion is to have a map (i.e., schematic, or diagram) of your
> home's wiring so that you can understand the relationship and geometry
> between devices, noise sources, signal extenuators and AC phases.
>
> A strategy that would apply to all these technologies that IIRC Jeff has
> applied in his house to X-10, is to put the PLC devices on one phase and
> as many of the noise producers and signal suckers as practical on the
> other and _not_ use a phase coupler.

That is correct.  And most of those potential "signal suckers' are confined
to one circuit fed through a 20 amp X10 XPF filter.

> Physics and the US and Canadian electrical codes dictate that one
> shouldn't move loads around willy-nilly in the AC power distribution
> panel, but in my case, I could make significant improvements taking care
> to keep the loads balanced and compliant with the NEC.

While I agree that it is a good idea to balance loads across both phases, I
couldn't find anything in the NEC regarding that issue.  I may have missed
it.  Except for some slight variation in voltage due to line drop in the
neutral, the only component in the distribution network that might be
effected by load balancing is the utility step-down transformer.

All three feeds to our main distribution panel are the same size, so the
neutral is properly sized to handle the maximum current from either phase.
That is not always the case, particularly in older buildings.

Our major loads are the 240V A/C compressors necessary for this climate with
peak summer temperatures well up in the teens.  Lighting and convenience
circuits are almost all on one phase, and the other phase supplies most
electronics, fixed appliances, and other non-X10 circuits.  The XTB-II is
just driving the X10 phase.  This configuration works very well.

Jeff