Re: Home Audio and Windows Vista

"isw" <isw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:isw-

<stuff snipped>

> If you really, really want Vista, I'd recommend waiting at least a year
> to see how things settle out. Or you might take a look at Apple's
> offerings.

Here's one kiwi's horror story about Vista's DRM:

A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html#quality

Executive Summary

"Windows Vista includes an extensive reworking of core OS elements in order
to provide content protection for so-called ?premium content?, typically HD
data from Blu-Ray and HD-DVD sources. Providing this protection incurs
considerable costs in terms of system performance, system stability,
technical support overhead, and hardware and software cost."

It's a good read for anyone thinking of buying Vista.

So is:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_nvidia_hdcp_support/

The Great HDCP Fiasco

--