Re: CAT5 568A v. 568B..Hmmm..odd problem?

 NewsReader wrote:
> BruceR wrote:
>> You can use A or B and still carry phone traffic.  Line 1 goes on the
>> center pair (pins 4&5; Bl/Wh-Wh/Bl) which are the same in both
>> 568A&B. If you have a line 2, that would go on pins 3&6 which is
>> normally used by the ethernet connection. So, if you want to run
>> ethernet and 1 phone line you can do so. If you want a second phone
>> line you'd have to put it on pins 7&8 and modify your phone plugs.
>>
>>  funkykev@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>> On Mar 1, 10:44 am, Lewis Gardner
>>> <lgard...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>> wrote>
>> <snip>
>>  The exception, I believe, is that if you intend to carry
>>> internet or similar AND a Ma Bell phone signal through the same
>>> cord, then you need to wire for A at your receptacles?  This,
>>> however I have not confirmed.  There you go.  have at it...and
>>> thanks! Kevin
>>

> Yeah - but you're forgetting USOC pinning where the pairs are
> Line 1 bl/w on pins 4,5
> Line 2 o/w on pins 3,6
> Line 3 g/w on pins 2,7
> Line 4 br/w on pins 1,8
>
> Commonly found on flat (silk) cable with parallel conductors in a
> sheath. If you want packet loss try this pinning - the data is on
> split pairs and is effectively unshielded.

Trust me, after 35 years in the business I haven't forgotten USOC
wiring. 568A & B both keep the bl/w pair on 4&5 and the orange or green
pairs, repectively, on 3&6.  It's the green or orange pairs,
respectively, that get moved to 1&2 and the brown pair that goes to 7&8.
So, in either case, you still have USOC wiring for a two line phone
available at the jack with the caveat that line two is terminated on the
green pair if it's 568B.