CAT5 568A v. 568B..Hmmm..odd problem?

Type "A" config is a crossover cable, right?  Computer to computer?
Type "B" is your standard internet/LAN cable, right?
I'm not looking for any major DIY help.  I've got the gist except for
the part below :-)

Very simply:  I wired a LAN RJ45 jack and the instructions said "for
residential applications follow the 568A diagram".  So the jack(coded
for A and B configs on back) is wired as an "A".  Now I whip out my
crimper to make a cable/plug and look at the back of the crimper
package, find the wiring pattern for "A", and make my plug on the end
of my cord.  THEN I compare mine to some other pre-fab RJ45 wire/plugs
and notice that all of the other plugs appear to be wired as "B".
Knowing that one of those prefabs I was looking at used to serve as my
home internet cable I rewired my "A" plug as a "B" and plugged it in.
It worked!

Bottom line:  I have an "A" config jack and a "B" config plug and my
internet works fine.  WHY???  And what should I change?  Thanks.

Kevin