Re: Fluorescent Bulbs Are Known to Zap Domestic Tranquillity; Energy-Savers a Turnoff for Wives

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 21:34:59 -0400, Marc_F_Hult
<MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<muc963td8pq2tuemp4to3669i28iotoapl@xxxxxxx>:

>Oops.  NEPA passed in 1969 which was our Sophomore Slump year -- we
>closed down the school over another war ...
>
>CWA was 1972 -- Senior year of 1972 was especially productive:   DOW
>passed 1000, Equal Rights Amendment passed, Red-baiter Nixon first US
>President to go to China , Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty (SALT-I) ,
>DDT banned, Watergate break-in,  Coastal Zone Management ACT, Marine
>Mammals ACT, First World Earth Day, FBI Hoover died, Roe v Wade decided
>(but not announced), small pox vaccination ended and victory declared,
>Club of Rome "Limits to Growth", first cell phone call, Death penalty
>ruled unconstitutional, Arab
>terrorists killed Israeli Olympians,  Binladen Brothers was formed.

I got distracted. Where I was going with this was that in 1969, despite
many challenges, the US still had confidence and addressed problems
head-on (the long list of important things that happened and were
accomplished in 1972 alone is an example).

I remember being in a village cafe in the middle of the night in Spain
watching Armstrong take his first steps in 1969 to meet our national goal
of a man on the moon by the end of the decade. "How much did the US Moon
Project cost in pesetas", someone wondered. "All of them", was the answer
;-)

We need to regenerate that sense of possibility and the drive to succeed.
The never-ending negativism, and especially the cavalier disparagement of
whole sectors of society (recent count includes journalists, scientists,
government workers, academicians, judges and more)  necessary to succeed
in important matters by folks in this newsgroup is disappointing to me.

Reminds me of the old joke about the two fisherman (Says one to the other:
"There are only two fishermen whose stories I believe -- You and me. And
I'm not sure about you.")

Why aren't we using our energy to do useful things with home automation on
matters that are important?

My two pesetas ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org