Re: Fluorescent Bulbs Are Known to Zap Domestic Tranquillity; Energy-Savers a Turnoff for Wives

http://www.wvsd.uscourts.gov/district/opinions/pdf/Order%20rescind%20permit.pdf

>> "Accordingly, for the foregoing reasons, the Court ENTERS judgment in
favor
>> of Plaintiffs", writes the Judge.
>

>Way to go Marc!
>
>As a lifetime resident of KY I think that coal outlived it's economic
>usefulness in the eastern part of the state at least 20 years ago.

Yes. The devastation, environmental and cultural,  was severe even before
MTR.

My miniscule role was as a Board Member that approved participating in the
law suit in Kentucky District Court. The judgment above was in Virginia but
was cited by the Federal Judge in Kentucky. As I wrote before, there have
been a string of legal victories.

The Virginia court found USACE in violation of the 1970 National
Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) of 1970 and the 'Clean Water Act' (CWA) of
1972.  NEPA is the law that requires environmental analysis that triggered
the 1971 publication of the "Leopold matrix" I cited earlier in this thread.
I've been known to joke that I can remember when I was married because it
was the year that the CWA was passed ;-)

We also sued USEPA in Federal court for failing to force Kentucky to meet
antidegradation requirements of the CWA. I was much more involved in that.

These web sites give a good overview on mountaintop removal

http://www.mountainjusticesummer.org/facts/steps.php
http://www.ohvec.org/galleries/mountaintop_removal/007/
http://www.kftc.org/our-work/canary-project

Also encouraging is the progress of in the US House in getting 155
co-sponsors for Minnesota Representative Oberstar's Clean Water Authority
Restoration Act (HR 2421).

http://www.cleanwaternetwork.org//issues/scope/newsandinfo/displaycontent.
cfm?ContentID=531&ContentTypeID=4&PageFormat=DisplayContent&ConfigID=147

I haven't gone yet to DC this year to meet with Kentucky Reps on this
legislation, but have in past years.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org