Re: Fluorescent Bulbs Are Known to Zap Domestic Tranquillity; Energy-Savers a Turnoff for Wives

>> Well at least BobbyG and I apparently agree on one
>> thing -- presumably Bobby does agrees with the
>> statement below that he quotes or he have wouldn't
>> stirred the pot by starting yet another new thread with
>> this quote on this tired, tiring, and marginally on-topic
>> subject for c.h.a.
>
> Fascinating.  You berate me for this "tired, tiring"
> mostly-off-topic thread...

Actually, he said it was marginally on-topic.  I disagree.
It was originally on-topic but it morphed, as virtually
all prolonged Usenet threads do.

> Perhaps you could explain the principles which
> excuse you from practicing what you preach?

I was under the distinct impression that he does
practice what he preaches, at least as far as
environmental matters are concerned (I don't know
Marc well enough to speak of other matters).  He
has spent a lifetime working to fight pollution and
to better the environment -- especially waterways.
I wish I could claim one tenth of what he has done.
I don't know you personally, Bobby, but from what
you've posted to date I doubt you can claim as
much either.

> For instance, you accuse me of being
> "sophomoric" and then turn right around and
> spell my name "Booby" and trot out your favorite
> animal insults about parrots and hippos.

Those weren't "animal insults."  Parroting is an
accepted term meaning to repeat what another
has said.  Hippo-speak referred to what you
wrote -- not to you personally.

> Sophomoric means conceited and immature...

Yes, it also means Intellectually pretentious and
I suspect that was what he meant.  If so, his
aim is dead on.

> in case it's one of the big "S" words like
> "schadenfreude" that apparently confuses you...

Hmm.  You complain of being insulted and in the
next breath imply the man is unable to understand.
Perhaps the word, "disingenuous" confuses you?

> People who are conceited have a profound need
> to tell others of their great accomplishments,
> whether asked to or not...

It isn't conceit to be aware of one's achievements.
You've attempted to debate Marc in a subject on
which he is far more knowledgeablke than you.
When presented with facts (real ones; not quotes
from Houston whose intellectual honesty runs
neck and neck with Bush) you ignore then and
repost the same blather as though your claims
had not already been repudiated.  You cite some
knowledge-free online author as the basis for
an erroneous argument, back it up with insulting
comments about environmentalists (in case you
haven't noticed, that includes Marc) and now
you're miffed because he cited his own credentials?

> You'll often find them using needlessly large
> words in an effort to demonstrate how much
> smarter (they think) they are than everyone else...

It may seem that way, but what's really at play is
that Marc has a wider vocabulary than you.  You
should regard this as a good thing.  It gives you
an opportunity to broaden yours.

> People who are immature resort to frequent
> name calling and barnyard humor, even in
> adult situations.  Clear now?

People who find themselves in over their heads
in a debate sometimes resort to the same thing.
Clear now?

> And yes, I "does agrees" with it otherwise
> "he have wouldn't" posted it.  You're a hoot.

On this we agree.  But then, I've always had
a weird sense of humor.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass