Re: Fluorescent Bulbs Are Known to Zap Domestic Tranquillity; Energy-Savers a Turnoff for Wives

> Excuse me?  When someone says a person is
> "parroting someone else" that's an insult...

It's not an "animal insult" (like Houston's references
to fish).  It was a true statement.  You reiterated
Houston's claims and cited unsupported claims
from a website.  You also completely ignored it
when you were told why you are wtong about
CFLs and mercury.  You still have not accepted
anything that's been said, even by an accomplished
scientist who happens to work in this area.

> It clearly implies they have no intelligence of
> their own...

I doubt that Marc thinks you have no intelligence
and I can assure you that I don't think so either.
However, I agree with Marc that you're probably
not as knowledgeable as you try to appear.

> When they spell "Bobby" as "Booby" (which
> your apologia oddly omits, as if it never happened
> because it undermines your rather novel
> interpretation of recent posts), it's the same sort
> of juvenile insult.

I omitted it because I was unsure whether it was
"aciidental" <==[something I've occasionally done]
or deliberate.  It is an all-too-common typo to hit
the wrong key twice.  Then again, he may have
meant it.  Since I wasn't sure I chose not to
comment on it.

> Can you really say with a straight face that
> "hippo-speak" is not personal when I am the
> only one it's used on?

Perhaps that has something to do with what
you posted.

> Repeatedly?  How does he know I don't/didn't
> have a weight problem...

Now you're stretching, trying to make something
out of nothing.  He made no other references to
your weight problem.  For that matter, I'm sure
he didn't even realize you're overweight.  FWIW,
I could stand to shed a few pounds myself.

> and that's a *truly* hateful epithet?

Oh, please.  You're being childish.

> He  doesn't.  He's just guessing, and badly at
> that...

Oh, so you're not fat.  OK, then what's all the
whining about?

> Spin it all you want but even a dog knows the
> difference between being stumbled over and
> being kicked.

My dog reacted the same way no matter what
you intended.  She believed in the old adage,
"bite first and ask questions later," or something
like that.

> Let's set some things straight:  People who
> resort to demeaning speech have very little
> intention of rational discussion like gentlemen...

Would that include calling environmentalists a
bunch of sellouts while in a discussion with an
environmentalist?

> They usually want to bash people down in an
> effort to elevate themselves...

Some people do the same thing with ideas.  They
bash the efforts of others without understanding,
insult the intelligence of those who work to
develop solutions to serious problems and offer
*nothing* of value as an alternative.

> If people want "cogent responses" they might
> try sticking to the facts instead of making
> relatively tasteless AND baseless guesses about
> someone's IQ as a way to win a debate...

IQ doesn't impress me.  I couldn't care less if you
are a Mensa candidate or their janitor.  If you
share useful information and ideas, contribute to
the betterment of the newsgroup and act as if
you respect others, I'm impressed.  OTOH, if you
do nothing but knock the ideas and suggestions
of knowledgeable folks, hold yourself forth as
more learned than you are and generally act as
though you've no respect for anyone else, I have
no use for you, regardless what your IQ may be.

For example, one regular poster here would like
us to think he's the "smartest kid on the block."
He's rude, obnoxious, dishonest and risrespectful.
Even in raw intelligence he leaves much more to
be desired than what he hopes we think.  He
does know a lot about X10 though.  That makes
him about as close to totally worthless as one
can get.

OTOH, Marc is one of the most knowledgeable
participants in this newsgroup.  He's respectful
and invariably posts useful and on-topic
information.  There are only a few people I've
seen that manage to incur his wrath.  Other
than a few trouble-makers from a certain other
newsgroup, only you and Dave Houston seem
to annoy him.  Ask yourself why that might be.

> If anyone mistakenly believes that the discus-
> sion was something collegial, as you're strongly
> implying with your spin control...

It was collegial at first.  You say spin control
as thoough you think I have something to win
or lose by correcting you.  I don't.  In fact, I've
resisted the urge to plonk you only because
you occasionally post something of value.

> "Does BobbyG have any clue"

Ask yourself why that question was asked.
Perhaps if you responded to the numerous
points others have made instead of ignoring
them and repeating the same unsupportable
claims, you'd find yourself in the midst of a
friendly discussion.

> "no cogent response" "He's just babbling at this
> point"

This was an accurate assessment.  You gave no
cogent response to what you were taught.  One
of the many definitions of "babble" is:
"To blurt out impulsively; disclose without careful
consideration." -- American Heritage Dictionary

> "the average Cub Scout is a better economist than . . ."

I don't know any Cub Scouts so I can't evaluate that
statement.  I can say that much of what you've said
about mercury and CFLs is wrong.

> "Bobby's may never have actually (effectively)
> done any of the things that he thinks _other_
> people should do _for_ him"

That is also true.  Have you built a scrubber?
Have you done any documented research on
ways to reduce mercury contamination.  Hint:
Quoting Wikipedia isn't "research."

> "For folks that have a hard time thinking their
> way out a paper bag,"

That was a bit rough, about even with 200 grit
sandpaper.  Of course, your pal, Houston's
average post is more like a dull chisel on the
same scale.

> "Now it's taken BoobyG a while to get taken in"

I think he meant "taken in" by Houston but I'm
not sure on that one.

> "present facts that you don't like, or, apparently,
> understand."

That was an accurate assessment.

> "you are not knowledgeable enough"

I agree.

> Can you spin those into non-insults too, Robert?

Spin?  No need.  Most were unpleasant but dead-on.

> Why on earth would an intelligent person dignify
> such a constant stream of insults with a direct
> response of any kind, no matter how interesting
> the subject?

Well, you responded.  :^)

--

Regards,