Re: Fluorescent Bulbs Are Known to Zap Domestic Tranquillity; Energy-Savers a Turnoff for Wives

>> Another poster who supports Marc's position
>> also appears to own two homes on different
>> continents.  So many homeless people, so
>> much pollution and they want us to pee in the
>> dim light of a CFL so they both can maintain
>> and fly to residences on different continents?
>> That's chutzpah!

I guess I missed this post from BobbyG.  Talk
about nerve!  Yes, I own two homes on two
continents -- one in the USA and one in Brazil.
I travel between here and there two to three
times a year.

BobbyG implies that by owning two homes I am
ignoring the plight of the homeless.  What BG
doesn't know is that my wife and I support an
orphanage and a free day care center for poor
children living in the favelas in Brazil.  We also
distribute clothing, school books and other
necessities to a few dozen children.  What does
BG do for the homeless while he runs about in
his gas guzzling SUV?

> "Pee" ?

I can't begin to imagine how BG's bathroom
habits became material for this discussion.

> "Maintain a residence". Can I use that line on
> mom? "BobbyG of internets fame says that
> someone else maintains your home for you."

I'm stumped!  How does anyone else's use
or Bobby G's nonuse of energy saving lighting
affect the way I maintain my homes?  I've
seen strange logic in Usenet before but this
one boggles the mind.

> (Not that a stone house on a street with
> buildings from the 1390's with no central
> heating, no air conditioning of any kind, no
> garage, a 30-amp electrical service and
> water that until a few years ago only ran
> a few hours a day needs much "maintaining"
> compared to the "extravagance" of BobbyG's
> US home.) This is not an poorly-built
> extravagantly wasteful American house in a
> wasteful sprawling suburb.

My Brazilian residence is small and moderately
efficient.  There is no furnace but the place is
in the tropics.  There are air conditioners in the
bedrooms but we only turn them on during the
worst nights.  Most of the time the sea breeze
through the windows is comfortable enough
for sleep.

My American residence is another story.  I
got it less than 2 years ago.  It needs more
insulation and the two HVAC systems need to
be upgraded and zoned.  The sliders and
windows all need to be replaced but Florida
requires "hurricane glass" and it's not in the
budget yet.

We do heat the pool and the Jaccuzzi with
solar and I'm taking bids on a solar water heater.
I have an ELK-M1G home automation system
which I will install as soon as I'm strong enough
to climb around in the attic again.  BobbyG
will have to pardon me for not getting right to
these improvements.  I'm recovering from
cancer and as yet unable to do much.

What is Bobby's excuse for that fridge, the
SUV and the wasteful lighting.

> When someone with normal basic intelligence
> strays so far from reality, my experience is that
> it is because emotions have taken over. In this
> case I think it is much more than a "I coulda
> had a V-8 moment" -- although if BobbyG had
> walked the walk as I have, he too coulda
> enjoyed the benefits my family reaps from it.
>
> IMO, it is same emotion that torments BobbyG
> curmudgeonly prodder.
>
> "Envy: Dante defined this as love of one's own
> good perverted to a desire to deprive other men
> of theirs. In Dante's Purgatory, the punishment
> for the envious is to have their eyes sewn shut
> with wire, because they have gained sinful
> pleasure from seeing others brought lowly."
> (Wikipedia)
>
> If BobbyG compares even his understanding of
> "schadenfreude" to this explanation of Dante's
> definition of envy, he might gain a little insight
> into why I wrote what I did and meant what I
> wrote, then and now. Hello, he might even
> understand it.

True, but he would pretend he never read it.

> Part BobbyG's problem is that he's an Ugly
> American stuck at home.
>
>> And resource hogging on a pretty grand scale.
>
> Walking and biking and bussing to work,
> saving money and reducing environmental
> impact for decades on end so that you can
> go to see mom once a year is "resource
> hogging on a grand scale" ?

I used to ride my bike but can't just now.
Instead I ride a small scooter in Brazil that
gets ~65mpg.  My US bike gets ~45mpg.
I only use the Odyssey (~28mpg, IIRC) if
I have to carry something too big for the
scooter or if I'm taking more than one
passenger with me.

> In my opinion, "extravagance" is living far from
> where you work, driving miles in a gas-guzzler,
> building extravagant car habitat and all the other
> trappings of US suburb life.

I work at home so my commute is about 150 feet.  :^)

>> All while piously preaching that we commoners
>> should accept an inferior product, covered with
>> warts,  to help save the world.
>
> "commoners"?
>
> Part of what is speaking here is the envy and
> resentment of someone who wants what others
> have worked a lifetime to achieve.

Exactly.

--

Regards,