Re: Home automation newbie questions

GS wrote:
> Dave Houston wrote:
>> That should have read...
>>
>>      www.automatedoutlet.com
>
> Thanks! thats good info - doesnt sound like this will be a real costly
> outlay to get started anyway! And from what I have read once the
> hardware is in place, controlling from a pc is a relatively simple
> process. Hopefully I can find a canadian supplier to..

Make sure you buy NON-DIMMING outlets or wall switches, such as the
SR227 or WS13A, respectively.  You'll have lots less problems that way.

Even so, you might encounter some quirks, as these devices probably are
still sending a sensor current out on the line, in an attempt to detect
when you turn the plugged-in device on with its own switch.

This sensor current can cause strange behavior, such as a faint
flickering when a compact flourescent is plugged in to an X-10 circuit
that's supposed to be turned off.  There are directions on the 'net,
explaining how to defeat the sensor circuit, but I've never tried it.