Re: Home automation newbie questions

Normally, when someone is just starting out, I recommend looking at Insteon
because it promises to be more reliable. However, I don't think Insteon
makes any switched outlets so you either have to go with X-10 or use an
Insteon inline relay to control an outlet which complicates matters.

Make sure you get modules with both outlets X-10 controlled as some
teenagers may be smart enough to figure out they only need to plug the TV
into the uncontrolled socket to avoid curfew while the really bright ones
will figure out that they merely need to change the address settings on the
outlet(s). (Insteon is better in this regard as every device has a unique
factory-set ID.)

     http://www.activehomepro.com/accessories/pro/xpr_i_wa1_s.html

You'll need to replace each outlet that you wish to control and the switches
for any lights you want to control. I suggest starting with only a few to
get a feel for what's involved. That way, should you decide to go another
way, you haven't wasted a lot of money and effort.

If you replace the water pump switch, you can use an RF transceiver (I
suggest the Leviton HCPRF.) and handheld remotes or Stick-a-Switches to turn
it on/off.

     http://www.smarthome.com/4017.html
     http://www.smarthome.com/4001x.html
     http://www.x10.com/automation/offer95.htm

I've included links so you can get an idea of what's needed. I'm not
necessarily suggesting you buy from those sites. I usually recommend
AutomationOutlet.com for most things. They are knowledgeable and have good
prices.