Re: X-10 RF meter (was Re: XTB II Review)

"Marc_F_Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> So a one-off X-10 RF signal strength sniffer/meter could indeed be
> constructed *without* programming for ~$15 or so (depending in part on
what
> is already in your electronic junk box).

While I agree a DIY version without a custom PCB or case can be put together
cheaply, I don't know of any electronic distributers that offer free
shipping.  That can become a significant factor when buying from multiple
sources.

I had used a receiver some time ago that included an analog RSSI output
(received signal strength indicator).  That was useful to determine how to
dynamically configure the RF network for best performance.  The RSSI output
could be monitored by a VOM.  However, because of the pulsed nature of X10
signals, some type of filter or peak detector may still be needed.

Jeff