Re: SOT: looking for good cordless phone sets

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 11:37:49 -0500, Philip Lewis
<flip+@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<qvjzm77o49u.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>Marc_F_Hult <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>Do you mean four independent lines?
>Sorry... 3 or 4 handsets all attached to 1 phone line.

So why do they need to be coordinated? Just get four cordless phones. For
example, we also have an even older KX -TG210 2.4 ghz 1-line cordless
connected to the main line in parallel to the 4-line phone.

>Multiple line capability might be nice if we get something that hooks
>our cell phones in as a second line.... but i realize that'll drive
>the cost up.... and it's certainly not an immediate need.

I used something called a "Cell Socket" for a while. I plan to put up on my
"porch sale". But it requires one a few specific Nokia phones to work.

>>I purchased a refurbished Panasonic KX-TG4000B 4-line base +  KX-TGA400B
>[...]
>>which as best I can tell, meet all of your requirements except $100 price.

>It uses standard rechargeable batteries?! Sweet...

Oops .. no. But we never have any problem with running out of charge either.
If we did, we would just pick up another extension (after fiddling with the
forwarding).

>Maybe other panasonics do as well. (Custom batteries is a personal
>gripe of mine... I love that the OLPC program uses C cells in it's
>$100 laptop)
>
>That panasonic looks like a 2.4 unit.... so it might conflict with
>microwave and 802.11b/g/n(?). Any problems?

You can't use it within 8-10 feet of the microwave, but otherwise have not
had problems.

>>but at your price point of ~ $25/phone (right, ?) , you might be
>>needing to look at other than brand new items.
>That's about right... $25-35 a phone.... The only one line makes that
>a resonable price for new even. (heck we don't even need/have caller ID...)
>
>Looks like the "multiple handsets talking at once" is called
>"conference call" on most of the advertisements. What i want is say
>for my wife and me to be able to talk to a person on the phone at the
>same time, each from a handset.

Then why not just get four cordless phones?  They don't need to be
coordinated or part of a set. Just wire them in parallel or daisy chain.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECONtrol.org