Re: SOT: looking for good cordless phone sets

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:08:24 -0500, Philip Lewis
<flip+@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<qvj4ppfpmzb.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>Our ATT 24?? series phones are giving up the ghost. (some don't ring,
>batteries failing, no handsfree on some units... etc)
>
>I'm looking for a set to replace them, and though it isn't
>specifically on topic per-sey, I thought folks here might know.
>
>Our current system has 1 base which plugs into the wall, and three
>remote phones. (4 cordless phones total.)
>
>Features that i'd like:
>*at least 3 cordless phones, 4 would be good.
>*only base unit needs to be plugged in to phone line
>*Remote units have chargers.
>*Multiple cordless phones can be in use at the same time. (unlike a
> vtech set my g-ma has, which only allows 1 cordless to be in use.)
>*takes *STANDARD* rechargeable batteries (AA, AAA, 9V, etc)
> (the current ATT wants a special battery which is just 2 AA cells in
> a custom holder... cheapest i've seen is $15... that's crazy)
>*5.8 might be nice, so it doesn't compete with microwave and wireless
> network.
>*base unit having a battery backup would be nice, but not necessary.
>*headset capable might be nice...although we don't use it now.
>*handsfree mode on base (minimally) and handsets (would be nice)
> (note: if base is corded... the handsfree is less needed there)
>
>Budget is around $100... though less is always good.
>
>Any recommendations?

Do you mean four independent lines?

I purchased a refurbished Panasonic KX-TG4000B 4-line base +  KX-TGA400B
cordless handsets several years ago on eBay which as best I can tell, meet
all of your requirements except $100 price. The handsets have a jack for
headset.

They have worked very well. None have needed repair and the original
batteries are still fine. The handsets have excellent range in my limited
experience with phones.. I can put the base where ever I want in our 4,000 sq
foot home with no significant reception issues. This model has doubtless been
superceded, but at your price point of ~ $25/phone (right, ?) , you might be
needing to look at other than brand new items.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org