Re: Occupation sensor that works with people sitting still?

On Feb 15, 9:08 am, "Bill Kearney" <wkearney-99@hot-mail-com> wrote:
> > I don't know if it's anywhere near ready yet but I have hopes that
> > eventually RFID technology may be able to provide a solution to this
> > problem.
>
> I don't see that ever being viable in the home.  I have no desire to have to
> keep a sensor on me.  What if I'm walking bare-assed naked back from the
> shower?  I'm supposed to have some widget on me?  No thanks.  Same deal goes
> because of style.  If I am wearing a watch, which one?  I've got a dozen
> different ones.
>
> So no, I don't see on-person modules ever being an effective solution.
> Certainly not as a sole indicator.

While this may not be a solution for everyone, it may work for some.
After I made the previous post I did some further digging.  In
addition to the interesting links posted by Marc Hult above, I also
came across a similar package from http://www.ubisense.net.  Granted,
these RFID units are large, bulky and are far from ideal but the
technology is still in its infancy.  I have already heard reports
about passive units the size of a grain of rice that can be embedded
under the skin.  While I, like many others, have obvious concerns
about privacy issues, I also like some of the proposed uses, such as
the ability of an ER doctor to be able to download my medical
information on the spot from an embedded device rather than losing
precious time trying to obtain the same information through more
conventional methods.  Every new technology, from organ transplants to
DVD recording brings about a host of new issues that need to be
resolved before the technology is widely accepted.  Eventually the
issues are usually resolved, the technology is deployed and nearly
everyone benefits as a result.  However, I would agree that this would
not work as a sole indicator, at least for the case described by the
OP; accurately determining that you're in bed is insufficient to
determine whether or not to turn off the TV or change the lighting.

Dave