Re: Good Home Automation Guide for New Constructions?

> Thanks for the advice!  I looked at the Radio RA switches, and they
> are exactly what I want!  However, I'm trying to stay away from RF,
> and I'd like to have a hardwired solution for lighting (either wired
> back to a controller, or controlled over the powerlines.  Do you know
> of any good solutions for this that have a dimmer like the RadioRA
> dimmers (ie a paddle for on/off, and a separate paddle to dim up/
> down)?  I'm stumped.

RadioRA has proved to be rock-solid reliable.  I've never, ever had an RF
command through RadioRA fail.  Not once.  Not all RF is created equal.
Given the limits of what RadioRA offers and it's use of repeaters it's not
much of a problem.  It supports up to 32 main switches, or more if you've
got something to bridge between them.  Accessory switches (3-way, 4-way,
etc) do not 'count' as part of the total count.  Depending on the size of
the home and how thoroughly you want (or can afford) to automate that might
not be a problem.  It wasn't for us in a 3BR house.

There's something 'wrong' with any system.  Some just suck less than others.

-Bill Kearney