Re: Good Home Automation Guide for New Constructions?

> * I am definitely going to put in structured wiring, though I'm not
> sure what I'm going to use the additional pairs for.

Once you get started you'll find there's never enough pairs running to where
they're actually needed.  Needs and locations tend to change from the design
phase to actual living patterns.  You really do want to make sure you're
thinking HARD ahead of time about how this stuff will actually be useful
during daily activities.

> * My house isn't going to be anything monstrous (around 3400 sf.  when
> all is said and done), but we're going to be there for at least 10
> years, so I'm doing the HA mostly for myself instead of for resale.

Good, that's sensible.  Just make sure that whatever you install can be
removed or ignored without an excess of effort.

> One question.  the "bugs" for windows and doors - would you recommend
> a wired or wireless solution?

Wired works.  Wireless "usually" works.  If you've got walls open then run
wire.  Wire that works is a lot cheaper, in the long run, that wireless
voodoo that drives you crazy.  Some wireless stuff is rock-solid, but a lot
isn't.  I've got Lutron RadioRA switches and they've been absolutely
reliable.  But you needn't lock yourself into one system over another, most
can be mixed when you've got a PC as a controller in the mix.

You'd again want to plan around actual use not just cool ideas.  Trust me,
the latter doesn't cut it with the spouse...

-Bill Kearney