Re: Starting Computer through X10

"komobu" <curranpg@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>On Feb 7, 12:16 pm, "bruceR" <nos...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> will find an option to "Auto Restart on Power-Up"  or something to that
>>  By selecting that the PC will start up when power is applied at the
>> plug - no buttons to push or wiring needed.
>
>Thanks for the idea. I tried going into my bios and found what you
>were referring to. I set it to "Start Up after Power Restored". I then
>shut the computer down and unplugged it. When I re-plugged it in to
>power, nothing happened. I am not sure if there is a mother board

Often that option only applies to times when the computer is on when
the power is removed. The idea is that an unattended server will
come on after a power failure.  You "wouldn't want" a machine to come
on if you had turned it off and then there was a power failure.
(otherwise you might be providing services that you wouldn't expect to
be providing.)

Something to consider:
If you can find a way to issue a command to shut down the operating
system, but not power off the hardware, this might work.
On Windows machines, there is probably a registry setting.
On Unix machines, you would issue a halt command.
On Apple machines, see unix machines. :)
   (if OSX that is. not sure what to do pre OSX)

Then use use whatever you used to apply power, to unapply the power.
This might yield the desired effect.

--
flip
Just on the border of your waking mind, There lies - Another time,