Re: Ceiling Fan RF Remote Compatibilty

Just Another Joe <address@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>> OTOH, building your own is not entirely beyond the realm of possibility. The
>> only thing not shown on the schematic is the value of the oscillator
>> resistor and you can get that from one of your remotes. They use a Holtec
>> encoder chip and 315.54MHz. The Holtec chip is well documented and small
>> 315MHz SAW controlled transmitter modules are readily available.
>
>Hi Dave.  Yes, I hope to build the transmitter portion to allow the
>Ocelot to control the fans.  Right now, the Ocelot can do so by sending
>IR to the hand-held remote control, using a small interface that Guy
>designed.  But I hope to use one of those small transmitter modules to
>free up the hand-held remote.

Just get a 315MHz transmitter module and send it the IR signal. It will work
just fine without any type of adapter. The superregenerative receiver used
in the fans cannot switch on/off at the 38-40kHz rate of the IR so it will
just output the baseband signal as if it had been transmitted that way which
may even be the case if the transmitter switching rate is also low.
Transmitter data rates tend to be less than 10Kbps.