Re: Ceiling Fan RF Remote Compatibilty

Just Another Joe <address@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>A couple of years ago, I bought some ceiling fan RF remote controls from
>Mal-Wart for $25 each.  I have three fans, but they only had two
>controls, so that's all I got.  Those two are installed and working
>well, and I would like to find another that would be compatible, even if
>it were a different brand name, so I could use the same
>software/transmitter to control it as well as the others.
>
>The brand name of the ones I have is Mainstays.  The FCC registration
>number is M8CRL202; can't link directly to the search results page, but
>here is the search page where that number can be searched:
>https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/cf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm
>There you can find frequency, photos, block diagram, etc.
>
>So, how can I find another control that will be compatible?

Unless someone else has one with a different brand name but same FCC ID, it
will be next to impossible. Perhaps you can contact the manufacturer and
they can tell you where to find one.

OTOH, building your own is not entirely beyond the realm of possibility. The
only thing not shown on the schematic is the value of the oscillator
resistor and you can get that from one of your remotes. They use a Holtec
encoder chip and 315.54MHz. The Holtec chip is well documented and small
315MHz SAW controlled transmitter modules are readily available.

http://davehouston.net