Re: New to group -- ? about DSC QP6 Kit

"dcalarms" <mdcalvert@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1170304690.732983.103840@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I appreciate the group's existence.  I have read a lot of the posts
> and I think I will learn a lot by just being able to read and exchange
> postings.  I do have a couple of questions.
>
> How do I get the new post screen to be full width so that I don't
> to hit a end-of-line Return key in order to keep the text in the
> viewable area of the screen?  I have not had to do that since
> I last operated a KSR-33 Teletype Terminal in the 70's.

There are usually "option" or "preference" settings that allow you to modify
the line length.  Are you using the Google on-line posting editor?  If so, a
better way to do things is to compose a message in program like Word or
Notepad and when completed, cut and paste the result into the Google (or
other) editor.

> Is there any way the forum owner can change the lay out at the
> bottom of the new post screen?  I took a long time to write and then
> edit a previous version of this message and then, while trying to
> "tab-over" as an indentation, I accidentally skipped to the "Post
> Message" button and whoops!, it was gone.  Maybe, if you can put
> at least one intermediary box in between the last text in a new post
> and the "Post Message" box, dolts like me would not post an
> incomplete posting and not be able to find it to edit it.

Creating the message in a local editor such as Word or Notepad gets around
this perennial problem of web-based message editors.  I've lost a number of
lengthy posts in Yahoo's editor in just the manner you describe.  It's not
"dumb users" as much as it is poor software that lets you lose so much
typing so easily.

> 2.  Is this kit an older product?  I can't find it anywhere on the DSC
> site or in any DSC literature.

Isn't that a question better asked in alt.security.alarms?  I believe the
DSC is a security panel.  I can't help but feel there's something fishy
whenever I see a newbie posting a question here in CHA for the very first
time and it just happens to be an alarm question.

--
Bobby G.