Re: Swiming pool alarm

Frank,

Apology accepted, and I agree with your point regarding by-passing
safety devices for the reasons you stated. I will note however, that
the timer solution you mentioned also violates the code and would not
be permitted during inspection, thus would have to be done after the
inspection, and thus   also violates the letter of the code. The
safety issue isn't access to the pool area, via the open sliding glass
door walls, but rather someone falling into the pool unintentionally,
be it a child or adult. The solution needs to be a system that
monitors this occurrence. I also find it ironic that the code includes
the provision that any door that is self closing, and has the handle
at least 54 inches high, does not have to be alarmed. This was clearly
done to allow the doors to the screened cage area to be exempt from
the alarm requirement. DA!! Convenient for the pool maintenance
company's, but hardly safe for most children, or even adults that
could, without permission, enter the pool area. As I said, before, the
wrong solution for a very real problem. I bet it wouldn't be hard to
find a number of alternative solutions that would work far better, but
that would not pass the current code inspection.  These comments were
definitely not aimed at you, but at the rediculous codes currently in
place.

Dennis Raher