Re: FS: (18) LCD1901HD 19" HD LCD MONITORS, NEW IN BOX

> "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >"Dave Houston" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >
> >> Plus - a story in today's NYT recommends waiting til January when
dealers
> >> will be dumping excess inventory.
> >
> >In today's quarter by quarter business world, Christmas usually means the
> >last chance a vendor will get to pump up their sales figures, even if
those
> >sales don't push up profts they still make Wall St. happy because it
means
> >the company is not holding inventory into the new year.  That's when we
see
> >plenty of markdown ads as vendors fear the older, more expensive models
will
> >have to be sold at a loss.  The Superbowl skews those figures a bit,
giving
> >some 1st quarter relief to TV makers when the folks who didn't make the
> >Christmas purchase now spend their $ on a big screen TV.
> >
> >There was lots of industry chatter last year about Olevia entering the
> >market and doing a lot of damage to the price structure that had been
fairly
> >stable up until then.
> >

>http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:KdltcRasBhkJ:www.syntaxbrillian.com/pd
>
>/news/NYTimes_Article.pdf+Olevia+forces+prices+down&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=u
> >&lr=lang_en
> >
> >I recall reading somewhere that their plan for this year was to market a
23"
> >HDTV for $99 by Christmas time.
>
> Target has the Olevia 219H 19" LCD HDTV (1080i) for $299 so I think a $99
> 23" model is still a ways off.

http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html/ref=sc_iw_r_1_0/602-1807789-1766224?nod
e=293488011

No one cares about their year end bonus in August.  (-:

These units have no moving parts to speak of, so the bottom line can go
pretty low and the cost per unit to build looks better the more thousands of
them that they make.  Almost all the big plants new will be producing
significant quantities by Christmas time barring another Kobe-type
earthquake.  I think we will see HDTV's darn close to $99 because it really
is a magical price point that stimulates even those with the weakest desire
for a product say "what the heck!" even if they don't really need one.

At Christmas time, a $100 HDTV set would bring in an enormous number of new
customers to a place like Sprawl-Mart so even if it's a loss-leader priced
below cost, it will pay off in new customers and the other purchases they
are likely to make queuing up for a $100 LCD HDTV.

Olevia made their bones by busting the $1000 price point on large screen LCD
HDTV's.  I don't recall where I read it, but I recall an article about them
being a good bet to break the $100 price point on a tabletop LCD HDTV.  If
not by this Christmas, pretty certainly by the next one.  Let's see what the
best deals turn out to be 6 months from now.  If I change my system clock to
DEC 25, then this message will continue to annoyingly float to the top of
date ordered posting lists to remind us of our friendly wager, but everybody
hates that so let's just try to remember.  (-:  Who knows?  Maybe the
monitors in the subject line will still be for sale!   -/*/-

--
Bobby G.