Re: Idea for Cheap Alarm System

>> The thing I know from my dad, and other people
>> in that age group, is that it's got to be really simple.
>
> I've never been convinced about that, it actually
> needs to be quite intelligent instead.

I think he means that using it has to be simple.  On
that I agree.

>> Pre-warning buzzers and flashing lights will just
>> get them PO'd.
>
> Cant agree with that at all. They are likely to get
> much more pissed off about the alarm going off
> and triggering some intervention when they just
> forget to pull the chain at the right time of day.

IME the gentleman is correct.  A buzzer or flashing
light isn't a problem as long as it's loud enough to
be heard but not so loud that it startles.  Also, a
phone call to check and make sure he's alright can
be a welcome event to someone who lives alone.

I had elderly customers whose alarms we used to
monitor when I owned an alarm company.  Once
in a while we'd get a "fail to test" signal at the
monitoring station and I'd call to check on them.
Elderly people living alone can feel isolated and a
phone call, even from an "agency", can be a nice
thing.

> And thats why a more intelligent system that
> works automatically on movement is much
> better than something simple too, you dont even
> need to hit the stupid chain daily, or need to pull
> it when it warns either.

I think there are folks for whom a manual action
such as pushing an "I'm OK" button or pulling a
chain next to the bed when they rise can be best.
For others an automated system may be more
appropriate.  We shouldn't assume that one
solution is best for all clients.

>> Let's say "grandpa" forgot to "push the button"..
>> Worst case, is the kids get a call, and he gets a phone call.
>
> Much better to pull the chain when it warns than to
> have to field that call when its just been forgotten.

Not necessarily.  During the call he might say, "Yes,
I'm here but I'm feeling ill."  The central station op
could then send help or notify a family member.

>> Thing is, with a simple timer, it doesn't need to
>> be a "pull chain", but could be a trigger from a motion sensor in the bathroom.  If they don't take
>> a pee in 6-24 hours, there's a problem!
>
> Sure, and that is what I proposed originally.

You can design an elder care system to check for
motion, respond to pendant panic transmitters, etc.
Sensors can be attached to the medicine cabinet
refrigerator door, etc., to make sure the client is up
and about, eating regularly and taking his meds on
schedule.

There's even a sensor you can place on the toilet
seat cover to sense when it's opened or closed.
The detector, originally intended to sense glass
breakage, is very appropriately named a "Wiz".  :)

The problem is that the OP (as another poster
reminded me earlier) asked for an inexpensive
system.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass