Re: Idea for Cheap Alarm System

Don K <dk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "EdwardATeller" <sorry_no_email@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> I'd like to have a simple alarm.  It could be as basic as a motion
>> detector that sets off a loud siren.  I think that would scare off
>> the majority of intruders.  We come in through the garage, so I would
>> just  throw the circuit breaker to turn it off.  If anyone knows a
>> product like this, I'd love to hear about it.
>>
>> Then I started thinking about something a little more elaborate. What if you had a cell phone
>> attached to the motion detector that
>> could be set to dial a number if it were set off?  For example, it
>> could dial 911 and play a recorded message saying the house address
>> and there was a burglary in process.  Or it could dial my cell
>> phone, and then I could decide if I wanted to dial 911.  A Virgin
>> Mobile cell phone works out under $6 a month, much cheaper than a
>> monitoring contract.
>

> I used to have a Radio Shack pendant dialer that would dial whatever
> succession of phone numbers you wanted, play a message, and open
> up a live microphone link inside the house to the phone line.
>
> IIRC, it cost about $70 ten years ago. Being intended for the elderly,
> it was activated by a pendant worn around the neck. It could easily
> be adapted to do what you're thinking of doing. Mine worked fine.
>
> The good part about this solution is that there are no additional
> monthly charges, assuming you already have a phone.
>
> google this:  radio shack pendant alarm dialer

I think those systems that are designed for the elderly should also have
some mechanism to detect movement and alarm if there is no movement
for a specified time between particular nominated times, so that if the
individual does die or is unconscious, the system will alarm then too.

Obviously the time between detected movements is different at
night and day and in the bedroom and the rest of the house etc.