Re: Idea for Cheap Alarm System

Robert L Bass wrote:
>> I think those systems that are designed for the elderly should also have
>> some mechanism to detect movement and alarm if there is no movement
>> for a specified time between particular nominated times, so that if the
>> individual does die or is unconscious, the system will alarm then too.
>>
>> Obviously the time between detected movements is different at
>> night and day and in the bedroom and the rest of the house etc.
>
> The ELK-M1G home automation system can do all that.

The last place my Dad lived (independent/assisted living) had a switch
he had to hit each day.  It was a pull chain thing on the wall in the
bedroom.

If "on the cheap" is the whole theme of this thread, I can imagine a
simple timer circuit (a one shot with a duration of say 30-36 hours).
It's "reset" by the person each day (like my dad and the pull chain),
but if the timer goes off, the alarm is triggered.  There probably needs
to be a simple disable, in the event that the person will be gone for a
couple days.