Re: Idea for Cheap Alarm System

Rod Speed wrote:
> AZ Woody <reply@here> wrote:
>>> The ELK-M1G home automation system can do all that.
>
>> The last place my Dad lived (independent/assisted living) had a switch he had to hit each day.  It
>> was a pull chain thing on the wall in the bedroom.
>
> That isnt going to alarm as quickly, and suffers from
> the problem that its easy to forget to pull the chain.
>
> Even a warning that the chain hasnt been pulled isnt going to alarm as quickly.
>
>> If "on the cheap" is the whole theme of this thread, I can imagine a
>> simple timer circuit (a one shot with a duration of say 30-36 hours).
>> It's "reset" by the person each day (like my dad and the pull chain),
>> but if the timer goes off, the alarm is triggered.  There probably
>> needs to be a simple disable, in the event that the person will be
>> gone for a couple days.
>
> And it needs a pre alarm warning that the alarm is about to go off too.

Thing is, a "daily status" is probably good for most folks that are
still independent.  If not, maybe they shouldn't be independent!

The think I know from my dad, and other people in that age group, is
that it's got to be really simple.  Pre-warning buzzers and flashing
lights will just get them PO'd.  Let's say "grandpa" forgot to "push the
button"..  Worst case, is the kids get a call, and he gets a phone call.
  Thing is, with a simple timer, it doesn't need to be a "pull chain",
but could be a trigger from a motion sensor in the bathroom.  If they
don't take a pee in 6-24 hours, there's a problem!