Re: Power monitoring; ws Re: one wire sensors

On Aug 7, 2:19 pm, Marc_F_Hult <MFH...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 10:07:59 -0700, RickH <passp...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote in message  <1186074479.282160.33...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> >On Jul 6, 3:26 pm, Marc_F_Hult <MFH...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 13:12:14 GMT, Jeff <dont_bug...@xxxxxx> wrote in
>
> message
>

> >> Nonetheless, I've developed a family of pcboards that provide signal
> >> conditioning, power supply and analog, digital, and 1-wire connectivity
> >> for what I call THOL (Temperature, Humidity, Occupancy and Lighting). They
> >> are designed to fit in single gang switch box for wall or ceiling
> >> mounting, are connected to a multiplexor at one or more central locations
> >> for logging via DMX, 1-wire and PC-PCI 16-bit AD converters.
>
> >> Most HA systems are not very good at data logging (checking, interpreting,
> >> representing, and storing data). This system is designed to address that
> >> need in a robust and redundant way.
> >Marc,
>
> >Have you thought of any way someone can datalog power consumption of
> >each branch breaker at a home's breaker box?  IOW it would be
> >interesting to see what the branch circuits are drawing one by one.  I
> >suppose a small coil could be slipped over each wire that enters a
> >breaker in the main panel, and the leads all taken into the data
> >logger to measure the amperage of each branch circuit over time?  I
> >dont know what electrical code would allow inside a breaker box?  Or
> >maybe the sensing coils can be sticky taped to each breaker on the
> >outside under the access door, and cabled to a data buss installable
> >by the user?
>
> >(sorry to hijack the thread but datalogging of both temperature and
> >power usage would seem to me be popular these days with living green
> >trends and all)
>
> >thanks
>
> Excitement around this aspect of HA co-varies with energy prices ;-)
>
> I've explored 4-5 different approaches to power measurement and monitoring
> and am circling around one in particular that fits well with the other
> monitoring and control functions I have developed.
>
> The first approach was the commercial granddaddy, namely the "Cutler-Hammer
> Advanced Power Center panel" the others are DIY. See:
>
> " SAVOY AUTOMATION AND CUTLER-HAMMER POISED TO REVOLUTIONIZE ENERGY
> MANAGEMENT. Savoy and Cutler-Hammer Team Up to Provide Innovative
> Intelligent Load Center ..."www.hometoys.com/htinews/feb99/releases/savoy02.htm
>
> www.Savoysoft.com,  the company that developed the CyberHouse HA
> software that I used for years, engaged in extensive real-world trials of
> residential and commercial energy management during ~1999-2001.
>
> Hardware was provided by Cutler-Hammer Advanced Power Center. See:
>
> http://www.eatonelectrical.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?GXHC_GX_jst
> =c7014444662d6164&GXHC_JSESSIONID=26be607ac210a176&pagename=
> C-H/Common/AssetTemplateLink&c=Apubarticles&cid=983558198813&
> Sec=products

> [...]

Thanks Marc,

Would your circuit/concept require the homeowner to physically connect
each branch circuit (breaker) sensor directly to the powerline?

I was thinking more in terms of sensing coils classed by wire gauge
(10, 14, 12 etc) and type (solid stranded) and power range (rating of
breaker), that the user would simply "clamp" around each wire after
identifying the gauge, type of wire and breaker amps.  Sort of like a
little clamping ampmeters hooked to each branch circuit, each coil
would have either a hardwire or RF link back to the microcontroller
unit that times the samples and accumulates/sends a data package back
to the software.  I've seen the C/H panels installed here at work,
pretty impressive.  But I was thinking more in terms of a system that
a homeowner can install without violating electrical codes.  The
microcontroller would calculate out any irregularities in the induced
current curve of the sensing coil, and provide a linear measurement of
amperage for logging.