Power monitoring; ws Re: one wire sensors

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 10:07:59 -0700, RickH <passport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message  <1186074479.282160.33610@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>On Jul 6, 3:26 pm, Marc_F_Hult <MFH...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 13:12:14 GMT, Jeff <dont_bug...@xxxxxx> wrote in
message

>> Nonetheless, I've developed a family of pcboards that provide signal
>> conditioning, power supply and analog, digital, and 1-wire connectivity
>> for what I call THOL (Temperature, Humidity, Occupancy and Lighting). They
>> are designed to fit in single gang switch box for wall or ceiling
>> mounting, are connected to a multiplexor at one or more central locations
>> for logging via DMX, 1-wire and PC-PCI 16-bit AD converters.
>>
>> Most HA systems are not very good at data logging (checking, interpreting,
>> representing, and storing data). This system is designed to address that
>> need in a robust and redundant way.

>Marc,
>
>Have you thought of any way someone can datalog power consumption of
>each branch breaker at a home's breaker box?  IOW it would be
>interesting to see what the branch circuits are drawing one by one.  I
>suppose a small coil could be slipped over each wire that enters a
>breaker in the main panel, and the leads all taken into the data
>logger to measure the amperage of each branch circuit over time?  I
>dont know what electrical code would allow inside a breaker box?  Or
>maybe the sensing coils can be sticky taped to each breaker on the
>outside under the access door, and cabled to a data buss installable
>by the user?
>
>(sorry to hijack the thread but datalogging of both temperature and
>power usage would seem to me be popular these days with living green
>trends and all)
>
>thanks

Excitement around this aspect of HA co-varies with energy prices ;-)

I've explored 4-5 different approaches to power measurement and monitoring
and am circling around one in particular that fits well with the other
monitoring and control functions I have developed.

The first approach was the commercial granddaddy, namely the "Cutler-Hammer
Advanced Power Center panel" the others are DIY. See:

" SAVOY AUTOMATION AND CUTLER-HAMMER POISED TO REVOLUTIONIZE ENERGY
MANAGEMENT. Savoy and Cutler-Hammer Team Up to Provide Innovative
Intelligent Load Center ..."
www.hometoys.com/htinews/feb99/releases/savoy02.htm

www.Savoysoft.com,  the company that developed the CyberHouse HA
software that I used for years, engaged in extensive real-world trials of
residential and commercial energy management during ~1999-2001.

Hardware was provided by Cutler-Hammer Advanced Power Center. See:

http://www.eatonelectrical.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?GXHC_GX_jst
=c7014444662d6164&GXHC_JSESSIONID=26be607ac210a176&pagename=
C-H/Common/AssetTemplateLink&c=Apubarticles&cid=983558198813&
Sec=products

It was/is a subpanel that met UL requirements and could accurately measure
and control 120 and 240 VAC loads and communicate with home automation
software over a variety of protocols including, depending on
configuration,  INCOM, Cebus, RS-232 and X-10.

I have a hardly used (it was a demo) Advanced Power Center panel with
nine sensors, nine controllable breakers and controller with INCOM and Cebus
interface and RS-232-->INCOM converters that I have put up for sale
in my personal Photo-HA-Electronics Porch
Sale.  Cutler Hammer/Eaton has some free software available to download. (I
have no experience with it.)

I'll post more on methods 2-4 time permitting. Two are extensions of the
method presented with a very dated explanation on my web site here:

www.econtrol.org/power_measurement.htm
www.econtrol.org/Circuits.htm

but use AVR MCUs instead of proprietary single-purpose IC's.

Later ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult

Visit my personal Porch Sale of used-but-useful Home Automation and
Electronics gear at www.ECOntrol.org/porch_sale