Re: Neutral terminal on X-10 type wall switch

"Marilyn & Bob" <Privacy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

<snip>

> Your answer brings up one (hopefully) last question: if CF bulbs
> normally carry a tiny bit of current when the switch is off, but the
> breaker on, why can they not be turned on and off by a standard X-10
> switch?  As I said previously, my standard X-10 switch works fine
> controlling 5 lamps in parallel (track lights) with 4 being CFs and one
> incandescent, but won't work if all five are CFs.

X-10 switches without a neutral connection are specified to require a minimum
load (of about 40 W if I recall correctly).  Basically this means that the
resistance of the load has to be sufficiently low so that the X-10
transmitter can get sufficient signal through the load to the receiver
(switch).  A CF bulb (or even five in parallel) does not have a low enough
resistance (equivalently, does not pass sufficient current) to pass a
sufficient signal through from transmitter to receiver.

Solutions include
1)  Provide an alternate path, such as an incandescent bulb in parallel as
you did.  You may find that something less than 40 W is sufficient.
2)  Use an X-10 switch rated for use with flourescent lights - it will have a
neutral connection.  In this case, the signal amplitude seen by the switch is
mostly independent of the load.  Such a switch should work even with one CF
bulb.

Good luck!
--
Ian Shef     805/F6      *    These are my personal opinions
Raytheon Company         *    and not those of my employer.