Re: Insteon RF SDK

Wow Dave,

   Yaa, the SitePlayer people kinda pissed me off awhile back. I love
the web part of site player. I had mine setup to broadcast UDP packets
to my HomeSeer. It worked well then the SitePlayer would stop talking.
At first I thought it was my circuit or code. Then after reading on the
SItePlayer forum I found that the issue was with SitePlayer code. Well
I didn't feel doing hardware resets every few minutes was a good
option. So I just use my SitePlayers for Web access to different parts
of my house.

   I purchased an Xport, and behind that a 16f628 and hit hits every
time. As a matter of fact Since I completed the first circuit and
powered it up, I have yet to have to reset the unit. Very stable.

   Now I am building an Xport with a 16f877 behind it for my RF
sprinkler system. A friend of mine who is a solor power expert is
building the power source. So next spring I hope to have 3 small, 4
station sprinkler headers that are solor powered and commanded by RF. I
own a small ranch in Nevada and irrigation of my property can take
quite a while to get done, by hand.

   Its nice to connect up with someone working on the same ideas and
issues. I looked at your Tibbo EM202. It looks like a nice unit,  TCP,
UDP are my big buzz words right now. I don't really want any of my
internal ip devices exposed off of my lan right now. My HomeSeer is
exposed but nothing else is allowed off of my intranet.

   Besides its bad enough when my servers at work call me on my cell,
to tell me they are having issues. But having some device at home
sending me emails, ("I don't think so") I am the master, I know were
the power buttons are.

   I also played around with that X10 Rf protocol for a while. I found
it to be alittle bulky and long as far as a serial stream goes. All I
send for example is "128, 128, 128" for syncing then "House, Unit,
Data" then let the receiver do all of the conversions to
"hs.setdevice(house,unit,data)" and then send it to homeseer via my
ethernet. I am very impressed with the exicution speeds I get over my
lan compared to X10, and collisions on X10 are a thing of the past.

   The 5v supply on the Tibbo EM202 is a real nice touch. 3.3v, well a
couple of well placed zeners and a new regulator on my boards wasen't
to bad. But I think I may try one of the Tibbo EM202s and see what I
can do with it. If I get in a jam, I hope youll be around..

Ta Da
   Brad