Re: Whole house generators (slightly OT)

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:22:37 GMT, BruceR <razrbruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> the extent that the noise may be objectionable, I hope to win over the
> neighbors by offering them reefer space for their perishables, hot
> showers and a repite from the heat thereby giving them a vested interest
> in having it running.

You might consider having some 15amp exterior outlets wired up to
generator power (one outlet per neighbor, each with its own breaker).
With an extension cord, the neighbor then has the ability to run fridge,
or lights, tv...  but the limited power available means they have to
budget and won't break YOUR budget.  Oh, and if you do this, one tip is
to have a 15amp breaker outside near the outlet, and a 20amp breaker
inside.  That way when (not if) the neighbor trips the breaker, it will
trip outside where they can reset it.  But you are still protected and
can control the power from inside.

In my case, my close neighbor is 150ft and the one on the other side is
about 300ft.  I have a few 100ft, 12ga extension cords that I can loan.
(Of course, if copper keeps going up so much faster than my income...)

sdb

--
Wanted:  Omnibook 800 & accessories, cheap, working or not
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com