Re: Whole house generators (slightly OT)

All good points, thanks.  I'm looking at the Generac series which has
the auto start, auto transfer and auto exercise. I like that they have
an aluminum housing rather than steel as steel rusts so quickly in
Hawaii. While aluminum corrodes too, it lasts far longer particularly
when wiped down with ACS.
 I plan to locate the unit behind the garage on an existing concrete
sidewalk so exhaust and noise should be OK. I already have a 1" gas line
running there and there's room for an LG tank too. The electric meter is
just around the corner on the garage sidewall so that's convenient for
hookup. Generac claims their unit is no louder than an idling car. To
the extent that the noise may be objectionable, I hope to win over the
neighbors by offering them reefer space for their perishables, hot
showers and a repite from the heat thereby giving them a vested interest
in having it running.