Re: Hole Diameter for running cable

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:apGdnVhjMPZi9vDYnZ2dnUVZ_vqdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxx
> "Robert L Bass" <sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
> <stuff snipped>
>
>>Use nailing plates to protect the wires.  However, these do not restore
>>any of the strength of the framing member lost by drilling or notching.
>
> What does?  How would you run wires in a way that didn't reduce the
> structural integrity of the framing?

As others have pointed out, the strength of the joist is not affected by drilling holes in the proper locations.  Assuming the
structure is sound to begin with, if you follow the guidelines of the IRC which I posted earlier, you won't need to shore up the
joists at all.

> IIRC they used to weld a thick steel reinforcing strip along both edges of
> the WWII Liberty ships on the extremely cold North Sea run once they
> discovered the steel became brittle enough in the cold to crack and ships
> snapped in half and sank nearly instantly.  Can't seem to find the story
> right now on Google, though. )-:

That's a very different problem -- a very significant one if you happen to be abouard that ship (:^)) -- which doesn't relate to
your issue.

> They way I see it there are usually
> enough tolerances in the system to
> allow for drilling but that reducing
> the cross section of the framing always
> brings you a little bit closer to
> unexpected failures.

True, but drilling a 2" hole or even multiple 2" holes in the joist does not reduce the cross-section of the framing.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics