Re: Hole Diameter for running cable

"Kevin Gottsman" <kevin_KILL_SPAM@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:FbqdnZIyMIqeS_HYnZ2dnUVZ_u6dnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>I need to run some cabling in my basement before I finish it. Right now I
> have 2x10s supporting the first floor. What is the maximum diameter hole
> that I can drill to run cable through? How about the 2x4 studs for
> walling? Are there any gotchas for code requirements?
>
> Kevin

My understanding:

A hole can have a diameter of up to 1/3 the height of the board so long as
it is not located in the center 1/3 of the board, in horizontal members. I
don't remember how big it's allowed to be in the center. You may also notch
a board, I believe up to its thickness. (A 2" notch in a 2x10. I think.)  In
vertical members, the hole can be located anywhere, but if it is closer than
1/3 of the board height to the edge, you must use a nailing plate. I use
them everywhere anyway.