Re: Hole Diameter for running cable

"Robert L Bass" <sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

<stuff snipped>

>Use nailing plates to protect the wires.  However, these do not restore
>any of the strength of the framing member lost by drilling or notching.

What does?  How would you run wires in a way that didn't reduce the
structural integrity of the framing?

IIRC they used to weld a thick steel reinforcing strip along both edges of
the WWII Liberty ships on the extremely cold North Sea run once they
discovered the steel became brittle enough in the cold to crack and ships
snapped in half and sank nearly instantly.  Can't seem to find the story
right now on Google, though. )-:

They way I see it there are usually enough tolerances in the system to allow
for drilling but that reducing the cross section of the framing always
brings you a little bit closer to unexpected failures.

--
Bobby G.