Re: Hole Diameter for running cable

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 06:11:08 -0500, "Robert Green"
<ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<apGdnVhjMPZi9vDYnZ2dnUVZ_vqdnZ2d@xxxxxxx>:

>"Robert L Bass" <sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
><stuff snipped>
>
>>Use nailing plates to protect the wires.  However, these do not restore
>>any of the strength of the framing member lost by drilling or notching.
>
>What does?  How would you run wires in a way that didn't reduce the
>structural integrity of the framing?

One can use a prefabricated metal gusset scabbed to the joists and(or)attach
custom metal or plywood reinforcements to the sides of the framing member.
This can restore all lost strength and then some.

I had to do this because the local yokels who wired our house during a
1980's remodeling prior to our ownership cut slots in the (now) 185-year-old
floor joists in order to route 10 and 8 AWG  wire to AC compressors and
electric ovens.  They cut through the bottom 2/5th of the joists in the
middle of the span! Floor was like a trampoline.  They also used aluminum
wire which I've now replaced all the way to the third floor. It was a week's
work stretched out over 8 years to replace all the wiring and fix the
structural issues caused by others.

.. Marc
_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org