Re: No more X10 at Radio Shack?

"Marc_F_Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:jlhrm2ld0vta1b0qr34ach68cqmu488g9j@xxxxxxxxxx
> On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 15:41:51 GMT, "Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote in
> message  <3NYah.115414$Fi1.103737@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> Folks should be made aware that your approach, applied during new
> construction, was a different situation than a retrofit to existing
housing
> which is the predominant use of X-10 as far as I know.
>
> So it is much more than simply "care[ing] to
> put in some effort" in most cases.

Actually, the only things we had the contractor do in preparation for X10
installation were to bring neutral into all boxes, and use metal boxes where
I planned to install dimmer switches.  That special electronic circuit was
originally planned to be powered by a huge UPS in case of rolling blackouts.
The same result for X10 can be achieved with a few 5A plug-in filters
scattered around the house.

I re-wired the panel and did all X10 installation after we moved in, so it
really was a retrofit.  I even installed that big X10 blocking filter over
the neutral myself after checking that it was OK with the inspector.

Jeff