Re: RG6 to RJ45

I'm willing to bet that the throughput on the Cat3, particularly for the
short distances involved in a residence will be higher than what will come
out of any converter.  The contractor shouldn't be let off the hook though.
I'd make him pull the Cat 5e in or write a healthy check.
 As for the use of the Cat3, if there actually WAS a noticeable difference
in throughput, he could always use 802.11g wireless.

Years ago, we had a T1 line in our office. The telco made a big deal about
cable quality and even pulled a new riser 10 floors to serve the T1.  When
we moved the office to the 6th floor, the telco wanted a ton of money to
relocate the equipmet so, instead, we dropped some Cat 3 (because it was
handy) down the four floors, hooked the T1 to it and it ran just fine.  My
point here is that while the contractor definitely screwed up and should be
made to fix or repair the problem, Cat 3 will perform beyond the published
spec and should be given a chance since it's already there.