Re: Comments on My Basics

Chris Hackett wrote:
> I hope I'm not inviting another "discussion" like my recent "Mentor /
> Advisor" post.
>
> But, I'd like to get some comments / thoughts / ideas about how I think I'll
> start my journey into HA.
>
> Based on conversations here, at SageTV forums, reading in Charmed Quark, and
> looking at the setup that IVB describes on his homepage at
> www.myhomeautomationpc.com, I think I'll start with something similar.
>
> I think I'm going to skip lighting automation for now, and stay focused on
> A/VS., Security, HVAC, and HomeTheater.  Too much debate, confusion, and
> uncertainty around the lighting stuff.  Plus, while it sounds cool to do
> lighting automation, I don't think I'm "wowed" enough by it to risk an
> unreliable system that causes the WAF to fall in the commode for the whole
> shootin' match.  It's easier to just get out of bed at turn that light down
> the hall off.
>
> So:
>
> CharmedQuark for the central software control, skins, etc ..
> Elk M1 Gold panel
> SageTV for AV
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris Hackett

For basics, one place to start is the "Smart Homes for Dummies" book,
and maybe the "Linux Smart Homes for Dummies" book.

(Neil..if he buys your book do I get a kickback? :) )

One of the authors posts here regularly....

Also, another interesting place is the TV.  "This Old House" seems to
doing some home automation almost every year.  It's only part of one
show each season, but if you look fast you can catch brand names, and
also a bit about special wiring.  First time they did it was a few years
back - and it was about lighting, and good old X10 was discussed.

Actually, the lighting stuff is probably the most stable right now,
IMHO.  I'm still using X10 modules I bought 15+ years ago!