Re: TRIAC dimmer control spreadsheet; was Re: Controlling Holiday Lights

Hi Max,

What I meant would have been clearer had I written "scene" instead of
"scenario" ;-) Oh Strunk and White -- where art you? )

In terms or *static*  _scenes_ (WatchingTV, GoodNight, Entertainment, AllON,
AllOFF) 16 different levels seem plenty. I know I could get by jist fine with
4 or 5 intermediate levels.

But as Robert wrote earlier in the thread, and you point out here, dynamic
(changing) scenes such as those used in theatre and concerts need more levels.
(Note though,  that 256 levels are that all the great majority of professional
theatres and other entertainment venues have,  so if 256 is not enough, the
majority of performances world wide are unsatisfactory ;-)

I realize now that fade rate may be something that is of interest to others in
HA, and for that purpose, 16 levels may indeed be inadequate depending on
one's preferences.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org