Re: Controlling Holiday Lights

Not to worry ;-)

A TRIAC controlling 60hz AC can only be switched on (it turns _itself_ off) at
a maximum rate of 120 hz no matter what the input. So regardless of the
frequency of the input, and regardless of the waveform, there will be a
maximum number of 120 transitions per second. (IOW, what sylvan is trying to
do does not actually work.)

The maximum output slew rate (and potential noise) occurs when the AC waveform
is at 90 and 270 degrees (= peak voltage of 170 volts, rms output voltage for
the entire half cycle = 85Vrms, and ~33% output for typical tungsten lamp
compared to full output). These calculations assume 120VAC and neglect the
band-gap and IR drop (loss owing to resistance) of about 1-1/2 volts.

See http://www.econtrol.org/dimmers/TRIACDimmerCalcs_MFHult.pdf

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.EControl.org