Re: TRIAC dimmer control spreadsheet; was Re: Controlling Holiday Lights

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 15:04:00 -0700, sylvan butler
<ZsdbUse1+noZs_0611@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<slrneki6eg.a7n.ZsdbUse1+noZs_0611@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 09:24:03 -0700, Jon Woellhaf <jonwoellhaf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>> In dimming lights in a home, theater, etc., doesn't the human's non linear
>> response to light intensity need to be considered?
>
>As Robert posted, the "practical" way is to just set the light level you
>prefer.  It doesn't really matter if the dimmer is passing 80% or 20%,
>just so long as you can set it to get what you want.

This certainly applies to the end user. But folks that actually design dimmers
might initially choose a mathematical representation of the known physics for
design purposes. (I got the equations shown on my spread sheet from Chris
Pflieger, a design engineer at www.Touchplate.com about 5 years ago.)