Re: Compact Fluorescent Noise

news:454a24eb.341691765@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "Steve" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> Insteon users will also need filters with noisy CFLs.
>>
>>That is why I tentatively decided to go with Z-Wave
>
> Depending on how your house is wired, you might be able to isolate the
> CFLs
> on their own circuits with minimal filters. If I understand what he's
> saying, that's what Jeff Volp has done. It does mean you cannot automate
> the
> CFLs using PLC methods but can use PLC on all the other circuits.
>
> I'm not a fan of Z-Wave so haven't thought through how they might work in
> this scenario - dimmers may still have problems with the CFL noise but
> relays are probably OK. Despite its being around much longer than UPB or
> Insteon, there have been very few (aside from dealers and one nincompoop
> who
> apparently is unaware that we signed an extradition treaty with Brazil in
> the '60s) who have posted here in favor of Z-Wave. I'm sure there are
> people
> who will want to hear about your project as it progresses.

I have not heard anyone blasting it either.  Have to see how it works.
Going to start small and move things around the house to see how well they
work.  It also has the widest assortment of parts tright now as well.  We
are going to EFX in a few weeks to verify WAF for the control panels.  I've
done X-10 in a prior home and it has made me cautiious about PLC, espcially
with CFL.  Had we built we were going with Centralite and Omni.

> Good luck and send us periodic progress reports.

I shall