Re: Insteon or Zwave?

Robert L Bass wrote:

> Coincidence:  I took a 10-month programming concentrated study course in
> 1969, hoping to get into the booming software development market.  As things
> turned out I ended up starting my own business which had nothing to do with
> programming at the time.  Over the years since, however, I've had various
> software needs that were not being handled by any of the canned packages I
> found.  I've written a few programs to handle those needs.  The related area
> where I have done lots is in programming and integrating various security
> and automation related systems.
>
> I'm sure you've got tons more experience developing PC software that I have.
> However, I might still be able to help you with your ELK system.  If you'd
> like me to try let me know.  I'd do it for fun -- no fee.
>

> Perhaps I was unclear.  I meant that I would discuss your app with one of
> the engineers who designed the ELK-M1 system -- not that he would "engineer"
> a solution.
>

> If you do I'd be delighted to market it.  Make something good and I'll get
> ELK to list it on their website, too.  They're good about stuff like that.

I didn't mean to say I was a great programmer or anything.  Just that
I've done enough software engineering to know the general tricks of the
trade and what type of software environment one needs to support a
complex automation system.  I'm sure they could make the M1 somewhat
better, but I doubt the system has enough memory, etc. to do things on
the level I'm interested in (support for a Hebrew calendar, management
tools for sets of rules, scripting, etc.)

Thanks for the offer re: the Elk.  I may take you up on it.