Re: Insteon or Zwave?

Robert L Bass wrote:

> That's true, but you may find more efficient ways to code the system as you
> continue to play with it.  If you'd like help some help, shoot me an email
> specifying your needs and I'll go over it with ELK engineering.  They're
> very helpful, creative folks.
>

> Please don't take this the wrong way -- it's not a dig.  You might just need
> a fresh look at your code.  Sometimes when I'm working out a problem I get
> caught up in trying to make it work a certain way and miss an easier, more
> elegant solution.
>

> Significantly so.  It's also more reliable for security and fire alarm.
>

> Granted.  That's why software like CQC is popular.  It allows you to
> implement complex algorithms and multi-tiered logical decision making.  The
> ELK provides a solid platform for security, fire alarm with HA
> functionality.  Its analog capabilities set it apart from most other
> stand-alone controllers and certainly from everything in its price range.
> Because the ELK is not a PC it is also not likely to need to reboot while a
> critical process (say reporting an alarm) is running.
>

> Make it robust and I'll sell it online for you.  :^)

I've been programming on-and-off since 1969.  I've coded in almost every
major computer language that's been produced -- from Assembler, FORTRAN,
COBOL and ALGOL to LISP, C and all its variants to scripting languages
like PYTHON, PERL, etc.

There is no way to "engineer" an application on the M1.  You just write
some rules and create a sort of state machine to do what you want.  It's
just not enough sometimes.

Maybe I will write a PC front-end for the M1 and you can sell it for me
Robert ;-)