Re: HAI software

>> The poor accessibility of the ELK software to blind
>> computer users is the only reason I am still considering
>> HAI.

My company has developed software for up/download, control and diagnosis of fire
alarm control panels for one of the major manufacturers  -- Edwards Signal, now
part of GE Security.  The code we developed is totally modular and can easily be
modified to interface with other types of control panels.  As such it would not
be difficult for us to write an app for the ELK M1G.  Changing the structure of
the UI to function within the confines of a Braille PC monitor would be an
interesting but highly doable project.

On the assumption that what you want is a blind-accessible version of the ELK
software I called ELK and spoke to Brad Weeks in engineering about this.  This
week Wade Moose and several of the engineers are at the EH Expo show in Orlando
I'm not going since I'm in Brazil at the moment but I'll follow through on this
when they get back to on Monday.

Let me know if this is a major interest to you.  Perhaps we can come up with
something useful for a lot of visually impaired users.  I've designed physical
user interfaces to security systems for blind clients in the past.  It's an
interesting challenge figuring out ways to make common hardware accessible.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.