Re: is x10.com dead?

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 16:43:27 GMT, "Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote in
message  <PakNf.482883$qk4.116787@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>"Marc F Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>> Another button pushed ;-) I have a Leviton 6400. Would you like it
>> free? The design was defective. It _never_ worked. It was very
>> expensive at the
>> time ($80??) Leviton replaced it in the catalog with the 16400 but left
>> the purchasers of the 6400 like me in the lurch.
>
>The 6400 has been available cheap on eBay for good reason.  I did my
>homework before buying, and got the 16400s from Worthington.  They work
>like a charm, and there have been no failures in 3 years.

I bought my Leviton 6400 from Worthington ca. 1998 before the 16400
replacement came out. This was about 15 years after my first x-10 purchase
(brown TW-523 with a 5-1/4 disk with C code from a Canadian company whose
name I forget .)

Also about 1999 I bought the $160 (??) Leviton coupler/repeater (also from
Worthington) that failed while in service taking out control of every X-10
device in the house.

You've apparently been lucky. How much have you spent on X-10 equipment
and specialized AC wiring for it? Sounds to me that you could have gone
with a hard-wired system.

If you are keeping the house for a while longer, your needs and
perceptions and experiences are all that really matter.

But when it comes to selling the house, it may not matter how well it
works in practice --  perceptions being what they are.  (I had to pay to
have an electrician rip out all the HA wiring in the last house I owned in
order to close the deal ...:-(

Marc
Marc_F_hult
www.ECOntrol.org