Re: LED lighting

Markus Baertschi wrote:
> AZ Nomad wrote:
>>> How much of the power for an incandescent is turned into heat?
>> I would guess less than 98%.
>>
>>> How much for a bunch of LEDs?
>> More than 0%?
>
> I hate to disappoint you, but LED's are not much more efficient than
> incandescent lightbulbs. Both get are up to 20Lumens/Watt.

your information is a bit stale.
LEDs are constantly improving in efficiency (something incandescent
bulbs arent really doing now days)

also, incandescents get more like 15 lumens/watt
(Halogens are around 20 lumens/w.)

also, at these low numbers, even a couple lumens of difference
is a significant *percentage* difference.

an informative article explaining why LEDs just work so much better
  in practice,
     http://members.misty.com/don/lede.html

which also explains why LEDs really win with traffic lights and why
the batteries seem to last longer.

   -k