LED lighting

LED lighting might be a little off topic for this newsgroup but I'm assuming
that users of this newsgroup are also the most likely to be fluent in this
area.

I am building a new house and had been hearing about LED lighting but when I
went to local suppliers like Home Depot etc found that there was nothing
available. I am assuming that this will mean that LED lighting is still a
little exotic (aka expensive) and that I may want to wait a little while.

But will this lighting require special fixtures or will they retrofit easily
into existing light fixtures such as track lighting, "eyeball" fixtures
and/or regular fixtures that attach to octal enclosures.

Jon Juhlin